NBA Official Basketball Rules And Regulations For Beginners
National Basketball Association (NBA) has some rules and regulations that must be strictly observed when playing the game.
The rules are majorly determined by the International Basketball Federation commission is the determiner of these rules internationally. These guidelines manage the play, procedures and presiding over the game.
If you are a beginner, you need to know the rules of the game and observe them to the latter. By doing this, you will learn appropriately hence avoiding penalties that come with the violations.
Below is detailed information about the rules and regulations for all beginners:
1. The ball may be thrown in any direction. You can do this using one hand or both hands.
2. The ball may be struck in any direction. This one too allows you to use one or both hands.
3. The side with most of the points is always declared the winner of the game.
4. A player cannot run with the ball. As a player, you must throw it from the spot you catch the ball from. There is only an allowance for anyone catching the ball as they run.
5. The body must not be used to catch the ball. You must catch the ball in between your hands.
6. A foul occurs when you strike the ball with the fist. Also, holding, tripping, pushing or shouldering an opponent result into a foul.
7. There is no tripping, shouldering, striking, holding or pushing in any way of an opponent.
8. A goal shall be made when the ball is thrown or batted from the grounds into the basket. If the ball stays at the basket without dropping, that too is considered a goal.
9. The referee shall be the judge of the game. He keeps account of the baskets. Other than that, he/she decides when the ball is in play, which side it belongs and keeps time.
10. The time for any basketball game will be two fifteen-minute halves with a five minutes break in between.
11. If one or the other side makes three sequential entangles, it shall count a goal for their opponents.
- 10 Best Portable Basketball Hoop Reviews and Buying Guide
- 10 Best Basketball Shoes For Ankle Support – Reviewed
- Best Lebron Shoes for Basketball – Reviews & Guide
The NBA is one of the bodies that formulate basketball rules. Together with its board of governors, this association was able to come up with some new regulations recently to help in improving the flow of the game.
They made some changes in the instructions for timeouts, and the game flows. The new measures put in place by it are as follows:
- The player foul limit for each player is 6.
- The game clock stops after the last two minutes of the fourth period and overtime.
- Referees will evaluate the delay of any game violation.
- There will be 5 minutes overtime.
- There will be two timeouts per overtime. Initially, there were three timeouts for the teams.
- The timeouts period of the game is the same whether televised or not televised. (6 full, 1 20-second per half).
- There is a bonus free throw after the fifth foul per period of the game.
- The numbers of players allowed on a free throw lane are five—3 defensive players and 2 offensive players.
- All the jersey numbers for the basketball players are legal cording to NBA.
NBA basketball rules
1. Regulation NBA court.
One of the most important NBA basketball rules is the length of the court. They have their own dimensions for a perfect court. You are required to follow these rules when constructing a court.
The court must be 94 feet long and 50 feet wide.
The line for three-pointers is 23 feet 9 inches. The free-throw line is equal to the distance from the basket but this lane is 16 feet wide. Learn more about basketball court dimensions here.
2. Twenty-four-second shot clock
Another regulation is the 24-second shot clock. As a team, if you possess the ball you have 24 seconds to attempt a shot.
All the NBA games have four quarters that last for 12 minutes each.
Both teams must have a total of six 60-seconds timeouts in a game.
The number of timeouts permitted is two. Every 20-second timeout lasts for every half game played.
4. Fighting and flagrant fouls
Lastly, fighting from the bench is not allowed during an NBA game. From the general rules, you are not allowed to get off the bench into the field to help your teammates.
This kind of behavior will lead to your suspension for the next game or even a fine. I bet you do not want to face any of these if you are a player. Therefore, observing this rule will save you that.
Fragrant fouls are also dangerous. The two fouls occur when first, you make unnecessary contact with your opponent. For this, you will be adjourned from your following game or fined.
Also, if you have extreme contact and this one is usually very serious. Here you will be ejected, suspended or fined.
Rules and regulations for basketball
This sport has rules and regulations for each and every participant to note.
You might find out that there are many rules you need to follow before playing this game. This is the case depending on which part of the world you are located.
We have the rules for the offensive, the defensive and rules for every player in the game.
Below are the regulations that you need to know this sporting activity:
1. Rules for everyone
- All the foul rules apply to every player. In the course of playing, you might find that these uncalled for touching or tripping will result in fouls. Whether you are an offensive or a defensive player, foul applies to each and every one playing.
- Goaltending. Nobody touches the ball as it is headed for the basket or while it is on the rim.
- You are not supposed to kick or hit the ball using your fist.
2. Rules for the defensive
The defensive team is the side without the ball. This side has only one main rule for its players.
- Not to foul. Touching your opponent results to foul. Therefore, as a defensive, you need to avoid at all costs getting into physical contact with an offensive player.
3. Rules for the offensive
This side comprises the team with the ball.
They have 5 main rules they need to observe. These are:
- The ball must stay in bounds. Since you will be having control of the ball, you need to stay in bounds so that the other team does not get to control the ball.
- You must dribble the ball with one hand. As an offensive, you should only use both hands when you are using the pivot foot. This is whereby you move with one foot and the other one is stationary.
- The other rule is the player's hand must be on top of the ball while dribbling. You should not carry the ball as this is regarded as ‘carrying’.
- Backcourt violation. You must observe this. Once this player crosses half of the court, they may not go back except when a defensive player knocks the ball back.
- A player takes only one turn at dribbling. It mostly occurs after a short pass. This means if you stop dribbling the ball you cannot start a second time. Doing this will result in you losing the ball to your opponents.
Basic rules of basketball
As you take part in basketball as a trainee, you need to know some basic rules of the game. If you violate any of them then you won't be able to master the game. Also, you will prevent yourself from becoming a competent player in future.
The basic rules include:
Time is also essential. You need to know how long it takes for a full game and the pauses in between.
This game entails four phases of 10 minutes. In case of ties, there will be an overtime playoff for five minutes until a winner is found.
Knowing your main objective is also good. The team with many points is the winner.
So as you play, your target must be to score more points. This is by putting the ball in the rivals' team basket as many times as possible.
The number of players
The maximum number of players to take part in this sport is twelve. Each side will have five players inside the court at the same time.
The two remaining will act as substitutes. Also, there is a lot of switches allowed in this game.
Any beginner needs to master the aspect of scoring. As you play, you want to earn points for yourself. However, it is essential you get to know how and in which manner you are required to score in the game.
For you to score a basket, there are three different way with three altered points for each.
A basket scored beyond the three-point arc earns you three points.
If you score from near the basket i.e. inside the three-point arc, you will get two points and lastly. A basket scored from the free-throw line is worth one point. Having this information, therefore, will enable you to know how to get more points as you play.
You might be asking yourself what this is. This is the maximum period of time a team has to attempt a shot after possessing the ball.
In this sport, a team has 24 seconds to crack a shot. Again, offensive players may not remain within the key restricted areas for more than 3 repeated seconds.
If you master this key rule, you will not blunder at all.
Moving the ball
There are specific directions you need to master for passing the ball.
You must take two steps before passing the ball and without dribbling it.
Besides, the ball may be dribbled from one point to another or passed from one player to another.
You cannot start dribbling the ball after ending.
The other thing about moving the ball is, once one team with the ball passes half-court, they can never cross back with the ball.
As explained above about fouls, as a beginner, you must take note of how serious fouls can cost a team. While playing, ensure you avoid them to save your team points.
You will be banned if you make more than five personal fouls (Illegal contact with the opponent).
If you make a foul on someone making a shot will lead to two shots from inside the arc and three shots from outside. Learn more about basketball fouls and penalties here.
To sum up, these rules and regulations are what keep the game going. Basketball has very clear and easy rules to follow. Other than making the game ethical, you will also have the chance to enjoy it.All you need is to keenly take note of all the rules of the game and you will definitely become a good basketball player.